Tuesday, April 07, 2009

my hair does not define me

Why is it that so many women seem to base so much of them in such an extraneous thing. Hair. It can be grown out, cut, dyed, straightened, curled. You can even add extensions, or weave. It's an accessory. But it's like some women find comfort...solace behind their locks. Like without long, flowing hair their somehow less of a woman...less feminine. And, may I say, it doesn't help that so many men think it's ludicrous for any woman to cut off her long locks...to wear a do that barely touches her shoulders...or even worse, barely touches her neck!

So, I've had fairly long hair for most of my life. When I was young, from when my hair first began to grow til about adolescence or so, my hair was the longest. An utter tomboy with hair down to my butt. Then I cut my hair...a few times actually, throughout my teenage years. But it was really never shorter then just below my shoulders...so I guess that was ok...perhaps still accepted in this long hair world. Lately I've been thinking about a cut..and then last week I had a conversation with my cousin, who was desperately wanting to cut hers. Then, the first chance I got, an early work day, I just decided. I told my cousin lets go...and we did. And I chopped my hair off. Now the longest part of my hair doesn't even reach to my chin. And, I love it. It's quite- freeing...to only have to run your fingers through your hair, and then head out to wherever your going. To not feel any wet hair touching your back when your stepping out of the shower. To not have your hair get caught under your backpack when you throw it over your shoulders. I think it matches the me I'm growing into. And...this time my mom was the one biting her finger nails while I sat calmy in my hairdressers chair. I wasn't worried. After all...

it's just hair.

-j